[dba-VB] Has Data in .Net

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Fri Oct 5 09:53:03 CDT 2007

Here's a routine I came up with to quickly answer the question of
whether any data exists in a record, outside of the key fields.  We
populate a field with a new record if there are none, but we want to
throw it away if they don't enter any data.  CurrentRow is a function
that returns a datarowview of the current record in a single record form
using the binding context.

    Private Function HasData() As Boolean
        ' Charlotte Foust 03-Oct-07
        Dim blnData As Boolean = False
        Dim intKeys As Integer = 2
        Try
            Dim flds() As Object = Me.CurrentRow.ItemArray
            ' skip the PK columns, which are filled by default
            For i As Integer = intKeys To flds.GetLength(0) - 1
                If Not IsDBNull(flds(i)) Then
                    blnData = True
                    Exit For
                End If
            Next

        Catch ex As Exception
            UIExceptionHandler.ProcessException(ex)
        End Try
        Return blnData
    End Function

This is in a subform module, but it could pretty easily be converted to
a public function in a shared class.

Charlotte Foust