[dba-VB] Subversion, TortoiseSVN and VisualSVN

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Apr 26 06:52:35 CDT 2008

Hi John and Shamil

I would love to follow this thread. I work both at home and at the office and is a bit tired of copying files around.

I located this page:

Source Control with Visual Studio .NET
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/SourceControl_VSNET.aspx?fid=471385&df=90&mpp=25&noise=3&sort=Position&view=Quick&fr=26#xx0xx

which, however, seems to know nothing about VS2008.
It has links to these add-ins for VS:

Garry Broadsword's Add-on which is updated for VS2008:
http://garrys-brain.blogspot.com/2007/07/tortoisesvn-and-visual-studio.html

and VisualSVN:
http://www.visualsvn.com/

This site also sports VisualSVN Server:
http://www.visualsvn.com/server/

<quote>
VisualSVN Server is a package that contains everything you need to install, configure and manage Subversion server for your team on Windows platform. It includes Subversion, Apache and a management console.
And last, but not least - VisualSVN Server is completely free!
</quote>

This must be what John is after - and myself as neither I nor any colleague have much experience with Apache.

Now, big question: Does this replace or supplement Shamil's collection of batch files?
As I understand it, VisualSVN Server should take care of the setup of Subversion but I must admit I have not yet grasped all the bits and pieces of this ...

A final note for others that may follow this thread: Nothing of this works with the free Visual Studio Express versions.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 26-04-2008 00:15 >>>
Wow, thanks for that.

I found a widget to integrate Subversion directly into Visual Studio.
It is called VisualVSN and costs $49 / developer license.  I just got
the eval but if it works as it says I will probably pay up.