[dba-VB] vb.net - Updates

Eric Barro ebarro at verizon.net
Mon Apr 28 19:44:24 CDT 2008

Yeah it is a terrible thing from a DBA point of view because it opens it up
to SQL injection attacks since it builds your SQL statement on the fly.

I've tried it before and since it is generating it on the fly it makes it
all the more harder to debug and offers the least amount of control from a
DBA point of view. So...I let SQL server do all the work on the back end
when it comes to batch updates by collecting the parameters and sending it
to SQL server to process for the records it needs to process.

Based on what you are trying to do you are building an image of the data
structure in memory, manipulating the data in memory and then committing the
changes to the database in memory basically sending the update command for
each record to the database back end right? Or am I mistaken in thinking
that all of this magically happens by sending a single update command
containing several individual update commands strung together?