[dba-VB] vb.net - Updates

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Wed Apr 30 11:07:47 CDT 2008

Hi John,

May I ask you to run this query (e.g. in MS SQL Management Studio) against
your huge db table?

--- cut here ---

SELECT RowNum, PKID from  ( select
	Cast(ROW_NUMBER() over (ORDER BY [PKID]) as int) as RowNum,
	PKID, OWNERNAME, FName, MName, LName, NamePrefix,
    NameSuffix, Gender from [Names]) s
	where (s.RowNum % 1000) = 1
union all
Select NULL as RowNum, Max(PKID) as PKID from [Names]

--- cut here ---

M.B. [Names] have to be substituted with the name of your table - what is it
BTW?

This query returns PKID of every 1000th row sorted by PKID + MAX(PKID)....

I'm curious to know how much time approx. this query will take to execute...

P.S. BTW, here is a useful for your case article on multi-threading
(practical solution) with good introduction -
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/Tutorial/D7E688B8-0BDD-4D44-9A0F-4CD26FB35F51.d
cik

Sorry, I can't react promptly on your messages in this discussion thread: a
lot of custom work here, long weekends and our time zones difference but I
do continue to work in this direction and if I get some useful  results I
will post them here...

P.P.S. This book could be also useful:

C# Threading Handbook
by Tobin Titus et al.

ISBN:1861008295

APress, LLC C 2004 (288 pages)

This book addresses the fundamental units of Windows and .NET
programming-threads. Coverage includes how .NET applications are executed,
the life cycle of a thread in .NET, how the .NET Framework uses threads, and
more.