[dba-VB] Dev PC with Raid?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Aug 24 20:10:51 CDT 2008

Raid 0 is "Striped" - Raid 1 is "Mirrored"

Raid 0 doesn't give you any redundacy, it just improves access times.
Raid 5 requires a minimum of 3 disks
Raid 10 requires a minimum of 4 disks

I agree with Drew - go with Mirrored (ie Raid 1)

You can see the pros/cons of each Raid version and some nice action graphics at
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

On 24 Aug 2008 at 19:43, Drew Wutka wrote:

> I would recommend going with a raid 0.  It's a mirror, and you will lose
> half of your space capacity (essentially you'll only have 1 500 gig
> drive, instead of 2), but it'll run just fine, speed wise, in fact,
> reading will go twice as fast, and you have the reliability of losing
> either drive and the other will pick up live!
>
> Drew

Stuart Mclachlan