[dba-VB] Performance of .Net Code in SQL Server 2005

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Jan 27 16:19:23 CST 2008

Hi Shamil

Thanks. Looks like a very good reference.

/gustav

>>> shamil at users.mns.ru 25-01-2008 22:09 >>>
Hello Gustav,

CLR stored procedures can have output parameters (but not return values) of
many different types...

There are also CLR Scalar-Valued Functions (SVFs), which return a single
value. SVFs can return any scalar type, excluding varchar,
char, rowversion, text, ntext, image, timestamp, table, or cursor.

This information is from the book:

"Professional SQL ServerT 2005
CLR Programming
with Stored Procedures,
Functions, Triggers,
Aggregates, and Types"

By Derek Comingore and Douglas Hinson

which is very good and covers all(?) the aspects on developing and deploying
managed SPs, SVFs, triggers, ... for MS SQL 2005...

I haven't yet used SQL 2005 CLR programming - I'm waiting for a customer to
request for such programming :) - as far as I see from the book I mentioned
above there is no any "black magic" there...

BTW, this book has very detailed chapter (Chapter 5) comparing CLR and T-SQL
performance - I'd dare to give here an short summary of this chapter:

<<
As it relates to a performance comparison between SQL CLR and T-SQL, we have
shown in this chapter that:

-  String parsing and processing perform better with less CPU resources
using CLR base classes.
- Computation of even simple proportions performs better in SQL CLR.
-  SQL CLR table-valued functions can stream results faster to client than
T-SQL
-  T-SQL is still the king of data manipulation, extraction, and updating.

I haven't seen yet/tried MS SQL 2008 - I will probably do that end of this
year if not later...