[dba-VB] Getting TextReader from strings...

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Fri Jun 27 09:54:08 CDT 2008

I also agree.  Class modules can almost be completely self explanatory.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 4:42 AM
To: dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] Getting TextReader from strings...

Hi Shamil

> I do not argue, OK? :)

OK, that's also how I understood your comments.

I see your point. There's a big difference between code modules like
that of Rocky's with 2000 lines and a series of small functions and
classes where all variables and methods and properties are given names
which clearly indicate the purpose.

Unfortunately, the XML commenting method I haven't used yet ...

/gustav

>>> shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru 27-06-2008 11:06 >>>
Hi Gustav,

I do not argue, OK? :)

The point is that inline commenting is becoming less and less
important/useful (and imposes too much costs to be true) as
nowadays (r-)evolutionary agile Test_Driven-Design (TDD) programming
practices progress: when applied by experienced agilist these practices
result in small max 10-15 code lines "self-explaining" streamlined
methods.

Classes/Modules and Methods DO have XML comments, where the purpose of
classes/modules/methods and all their parameters are described with
needed
level of destabilization, as well as additional remarks to explain the
purpose and usage of method in details if needed are supplied but
usually no
inline comments in code at all. I have seen somewhere an article from
Martin
Fawler or maybe another famous agilist who were "pushing" this approach.
And
I do use it and I like it - this is why I write about it :) (IOW I'm not
arguing for the purpose of "pure" arguing but I'm referring to everyday
practices, which I do follow with successfully finished projects and
satisfied customers with some of them being also experienced
developers...)

The everyday practice in TDD is that you can "mercilessly refactor" a
well
covered by Unit/Integration tests piece of code several times a day, and
if
it has inline comments then they become a trouble (they result in
additional
significant support costs) as you need to modify them as often as you
refactor your code. But with clean streamlined code every class,
interface,
method, parameter is usually self-explaining therefore class level and
method level comments are usually good enough...

P.S. Very mature IMO article on Agile and XP: "Is Design Dead?" -
http://martinfowler.com/articles/designDead.html