[dba-VB] Fail Fast

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Tue May 20 14:16:41 CDT 2008

Hi All,

Would you like to minimize lengthy debugging sessions - then use "Fail Fast"
approach!:

http://www.martinfowler.com/ieeeSoftware/failFast.pdf

It sounds very tempting I must say, and the author's arguments are good and
practical, but you can find that proposed approach is rather different from
On Error Resume ... or On Error GoTo ... used in almost all and every
function/sub/property approach recommended as professional programming style
in VBA/VB6...

To catch up inevitable bugs and gracefully present them to the users author
recommends using global error handlers...

Do you feel any flavors with the proposed approach? Please share them here.

I do not (I could have missed some), and I do plan to adapt to this
approach: I used like that in C ages ago but VB6/VBA programming made me a
bit "paranoid" and I did widely use On Error... VB6/VBa construction...

In my understanding proposed subject approach results in streamlined coding
with less code lines, less comment lone as well as less time spent in long
debugging sessions: of course "there is no free cheese in this world" and
proposed approach implies using Test Driven Development but anyway overall
result is positive with (significant) development and support time savings
as author states (based on his broad development experience) in this subject
article and in his excellent book "The Art of Agile Development" he
coauthored with Shane Warden...