[dba-VB] Database driven images not showing in non-english systems (solved)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Apr 10 09:38:17 CDT 2009

Hi all

This report didn't display pictures for me. As I didn't find it very likely for Shamil not to leave a note of some issue if this really should be the case, I looked for other possibilities for the cause of this error. Further, when I previewed the dataset in VS, the pictures did display in the grid, thus the pictures had to be present.
As the pictures are read directly from a field in the database, I guessed somehow the Report Viewer got it wrong but how?

After some googling I located this page which is to the point and had a very good explanation of the issue which is a localization issue:

  http://forums.devarticles.com/showpost.php?p=51707&postcount=3

As the pictures had been stored most likely in an English version, I tried with the value of 79 for the length of the header as the article suggests:

=System.Text.Encoding.Default.GetBytes(Mid(System.Text.Encoding.Default.GetString(Fields!Picture.Value),79))

Voilà! The pictures are displayed!

Now, the really clever thing would be to expand the expression to retrieve the length of the header automatically so a picture could be stored and retrieved by any combination of localizations.

/gustav

>>> Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru> 09-04-2009 20:32:15 >>>

As I have written early today I have got opprtunity to develop several reports from 3rd SCRUM Sprint, namely:

1) Catalog & Catalog subreport