[dba-VB] The "Oslo" Modeling Platform - to use or not?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Apr 26 06:53:50 CDT 2009

Hi All,

Some more information  on the subject is below.

Maybe we can try to use "M" language (see below) in our Northwind.NET project to define Northwind Business Model? - just to have a formal specification built using emerging standard(?) and then implemented in our custom codind whatever way we will decide to do that IOW I'm just thinking to use "M" language  currently in written form, but not use any beta/CTP MS Tools as we do not have time for that...

"M"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd129519(VS.85).aspx
<<<
The Microsoft code name "M" language is a declarative language for working with data and building domain models. "M" lets users write down how they want to structure and query their data using a textual syntax that is convenient to both author and reader. "M" does not mandate how data is stored or accessed, nor does it mandate a specific implementation technology. Rather, "M" is designed to allow users to write down what they want from their data without having to specify how those requirements are met by a specific technology or platform.

Textual Domain Specific Languages for Developers - Part 1
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441702.aspx
<<<
Oslo makes building these DSLs easier, but how do these little languages affect the everyday work of developers? Instead of replacing the work of developers, DSL present the opportunity to work on the interesting part of the problem space, not just the rote code that many developers are forced to hand-code or generate from metadata. Because Oslo empowers developers to use metadata driven from DSLs anywhere in their applications, developers can be more productive and create agile, scalable systems that are a better representation of what the customer actually wants; not what the developer thought the customer wanted.

Workflows, Services, and Models
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd200919.aspx

The "Oslo" Modeling Language Specification
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285282.aspx