[dba-VB] SCRUM: Northwind.NET v.1.1 (Alpha) with MS Access Backend published

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Apr 26 12:42:07 CDT 2009

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your feedback.

That wasn't a force of inertia :)

I do use MS SQL Express/Professioanl/Enterpsie most of the time...

But this "downgrading from MS SQL to MS Access" was a unique experience for me and very probably for many other developers as such downgrading is a rather unusual practice. (Poll: does anybody did something like that before? I have never been doing that kind of work before.)

This downgrading also showed me that using views, SPs and UDFs in MS SQL and using DataSets solely as an "indirection layer" on views, SPs and UDFs is a guarantee that "downgrading to MS Access" or converting backend to some other backend DBMS is a rather straightforward activity as opposed to built-in SQL or SQL in datasets: half of the time of this downgarding took the time of getting SQL out of datasets, and when SQL was in SPs/UDFs downgrading was very smooth and quick...

Another reason for such downgrading was an option to use MS Access database (or some other file based backends) in "Click-Once" scenarious: there is no yet MS SQL Express installed on every user system and JET and .NET Framework(?) are usually  installed therefore downgrading an application to use MS Access backend opens (I gues/expect) an opportunity to use this application in "Click-once" context (even if we assume MS SQL is installed on every target system getting it wokring with "Click-once" delivered back-end database seems to be a rather tricky task)...

Of course having "Click-Once" delivered apps communicating with Web Services is a more straightforward way to go still maybe "Click-Once" setup with MS SQL backend could be applicable in some use case scenarious...

And as many developers here (in AccessD) do use MS Access backends most of the time then getting into ".NET world" for them would be easier when MS Access backends are used...

In fact I'm on the way of showing how to publish on the web MS ReporViewer reports with MS Access backend - that could be a good option for may real life business cases as using MS Access backend on ASP.NET hosting sites is usually free (+ some fixes small hosting fee), and using MS SQL backend costs some more money, which in long run could result in good savings IOW if e.g. you have an MS SQL backend and you have got developed some MS ReporViewer Control reports, which you wanted to publish on the Web and you/your organization is short of money then downgrading to MS Access could be the only/most economic way to go...