[dba-VB] ADO.NET Entity Framework - to use or not?

Robert L. Stewart robert at webedb.com
Mon Apr 27 12:45:00 CDT 2009

I have used both nettiers and Entity Framework.

There are 3 of us that are creating commercial apps right now.
One app is done in nettiers. The others are being built using
Entity Framework.

The other thing is that we are also using C# and not VB on them.
Not that that is an issue...

We are currently using the option to build it from the database
and not even trying to build it in the designer. If your DB is
done correctly with all the foreign key relationships setup,
you will get a good entity model to work from.

The reason we stopped using nettiers was because it is a black
box that we cannot control. Entity framework and Linq to Objects
seemed to be the right way to go to keep everything internal
and not use 3rd party black box software that generated a massive
data layer. Although nettiers is a good product and worked well
on the application is it being used for.