[dba-VB] What OS for .Net dev

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Aug 24 17:02:58 CDT 2009

Gustav,

 > But my primary development machine I wouldn't run in a VM.

Why is that?  I have used VMs for this for awhile now, and I think it works well.

I have VMS Server on both of my Server 2003 machines and they have very fast processors and lots of
memory so it makes the VM run fast and I can assign lots of memory to the VM if I need.

OTOH I have VMWare player on my Vista laptop.  While it is a fairly fast laptop it only has 4 gigs
of RAM.

By running the VM off of a USB drive I can move it around pretty much at will.  I kind of like that.