[dba-VB] Access data across the internet

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Aug 29 15:51:10 CDT 2009

Strictly speaking,

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2005/web_services.asp

"The term Web service describes a standardized way of integrating Web-based applications
using the XML, SOAP, WSDL and UDDI open standards over an Internet protocol
backbone."

http://www.w3schools.com/webservices/ws_intro.asp
What are Web Services?

    * Web services are application components
    * Web services communicate using open protocols
    * Web services are self-contained and self-describing
    * Web services can be discovered using UDDI
    * Web services can be used by other applications
    * XML is the basis for Web services

This latter link is the start of a long tutorial on web services.

Based on your original problem, this is not really what you want at all.  You just want some
way to transfer data over the internet which is not exposed to all and sundry.

--
Stuart