[dba-VB] Access data across the internet

Eric Barro ebarro at verizon.net
Fri Aug 28 14:52:40 CDT 2009

John,

A web service doesn't necessarily need a web browser interface. Any
application can use web services for as long as that application can connect
to the internet.

You are correct that you would have to learn a whole new paradigm but only
in so far as how you reference the web service in your application and of
course creating the web service itself. VS.NET already has template code to
get you started in the right direction. I can also help you get started. As
far as multi-user issues is concerned it's a non-issue because it's handled
behind the scenes by SQL server.

As far as SQL server is concerned, it's just another connection
requesting/updating some data.

I've created web services that some of the managers at work use with Excel
to load up a worksheet with data from a vendor-supplied MRP system. They
just click a button and VBA calls the event that handles the data pull via
the web service. I've also created web services used in a browser-based
application where the user can upload an image file (JPG) to a remote SQL
server where it is saved as a BLOB (binary object) and then displays the
uploaded image on the browser after it is successfully uploaded (again
invoking one of the exposed methods of the web service that specifically
handles that functionality).

The thing with VPN connectivity, FTP, firewalls and the like is that you
have a level of complexity that you have to deal with on the client side to
get it to work correctly and if something goes wrong you have several places
that you have to look into to determine what could have caused the problem.

With the web services approach you can narrow down the troubleshooting.

Here's a sample reference for a web service on my site --
http://www.ebarro.com/webservices/EBarroAPI.asmx

Eric