[dba-VB] Access data across the internet

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Aug 28 14:43:16 CDT 2009

Hi John

Yes, much better.
But I wonder why CPU power should be the bottleneck - it certainly should be the upload speed to the Internet. Could it be that this Hamagochi thing is a CPU hog? For an FTP transfer, even a Pentium II could feed files at that speed at little CPU usage ...

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 28-08-2009 21:29 >>>
Gustav,

I created a shared directory on my "new" Windows 2008 server and copied the data file directory
structure to there.  I then remoted in to the client's machine, mapped that new directory on my
server back to my client's machine drive Y.  Copied my latest version of the FE to his machine and
ran.

I am therefore now running the application on his server where I do dev work for him when not
developing on my machine in my office.  I have mapped a directory on my server over Hamachi to Y: on
that server in his office.  Running the same code:

Time to open the file in Notepad 2156 Milliseconds
Time to open the file in Notepad 500 Milliseconds
Time to open the file in Notepad 594 Milliseconds

Import From File took 5000 Milliseconds
Cleanup of raw data took 3750 Milliseconds
Import From File took 5016 Milliseconds
Cleanup of raw data took 3390 Milliseconds
Import From File took 4531 Milliseconds
Cleanup of raw data took 9031 Milliseconds
Import From File took 4547 Milliseconds
Cleanup of raw data took 3094 Milliseconds

As you can see, my times for the import process is now MUCH faster.  The file server is now hosted
on my quad core (2 ghz real clock AMD) with 8 gigs of ram running Windows 2008.  BTW My upload speed
(out of my office to the internet) is not particularly blazing at .5 mbit / second.

I have to conclude that the bottleneck is the server processing speed.  When I was running the app
on my laptop accessing data at his office, the server was a single core Pentium III 500 mhz machine
(just checked) running Windows XP SP3 and 256 MB of ram.

Obviously having a new server at his end will help!

I think these numbers are suddenly very usable.