[dba-VB] SPAM-LOW: Re: Access data across the internet

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Aug 30 18:30:02 CDT 2009

The only reason it "goes away" is because web services use the standard HTTP port 80
which is open by default on most routers.   That means there is no configuration needed on
the client machines.

But you will still need "IT" to configure the router and set up port forwarding to point to the
server hosting the web service.  Of course, this is not an issue where you set up a web
service on a public web server, but that is not what you are trying to do - you want
something hosted internally which can access your internal file systems and databases and
interface in a controlled manner with other machines.

There's nothing to stop you from using the same port 80 for your own TCP/IP Listener
application.

You can also any of the other "standard" ports which are likely to be open on a router such
as FTP (21), SMTP(25),  POP3(110) etc

I have a couple of such Listener applications which do the sort of things you are after, but
they are written in PB/Win - if you want to look at them to get a better idea of oterh way you
can do this, I will send the source to you off line.

--
Stuart