[dba-VB] Access data across the internet

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Aug 31 07:06:20 CDT 2009

Hi Doug

If you ask for an example of a public service, an example is here - from the EU to provide validation of VAT registration of companies of the EU:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/api/checkVatPort?wsdl

It is very simple as no user credentials are requested, thus it should work with most clients.

/gustav

>>> dbdoug at gmail.com 30-08-2009 23:47 >>>
Hi Gustav (and Shamil)

I've been following this discussion with some interest.  My impression of
web services is that they are basically for publishing information (like a
parts catalogue) which could be read and used by clients.  I gather that
this is not the whole picture.

I've spent several hours on the web recently trying to get more information;
however I have yet to stumble on a site which gives a clear explanation
and/or some practical examples.  Do you have any good references?

Thanks,

Doug Steele