[dba-VB] Access data across the internet

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Aug 31 14:55:53 CDT 2009

Hey JC, just going to chime in a bit.  I've developed both web based
apps, and apps that use a VPN connection.

There are advantages to both.  One of the primary advantages of a web
interface, however, is that you are centralizing your processing.  And
you are only sending 'snapshots' of your interface back and forth.

If what you have built works fine over a standard web connection and a
VPN, I'd keep it the way you have it.  If it gets sluggish, then a web
interface would probably speed things up quite a bit.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:52 PM
To: Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues.
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] Access data across the internet

Shamil,

I understand and mostly agree with your opinions.  Of course I will
accept your advice, start small,
and not worry about the gobbledygook..

 > I do share Ben Kloosterman's opinion: "The problem is not with WCF
(or Axis) (or SOAP) but with
people who choose overly complicated scenarios"...

I have to smile because you are recommending soap web services, to
someone just coming up to speed
on C# (taking a beginners class!) to replace a dead simple to implement
software VPN and a shared
directory!

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.