[dba-VB] C# - Direct data manipulation

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Dec 4 08:43:46 CST 2009

 >they operated with the concept "scared of the database" meaning that the web developers should
just be presented with ready-made views because SQL to these was like black magic.

I actually think that is a good thing, developers who just use data shouldn't need to be learning
SQL Server to get their data.

That is really not the audience I am addressing however.  IMHO the built-in editor of SQL Server
should either be removed entirely or at least brought into the current century.  It is notepad with
pretty colors.  How many millions of man hours have been wasted trying to track down errors when the
only error message presented was "error near (insert some unrelated thing here)".  Why bother even
throwing up an error like that, and that is 99.9% of the errors I have EVER seen in two years
working with SQL Server.

Notepad, with pretty colors.

For all of the rude comments us Access developers get about Access being "a toy", the code editor in
Access is in a complete other galaxy from the code editor in SQL Server.  SQL Server editor looks
like it was designed in 1986 and never upgraded.

Of course with the "real men don't use code editors" mentality of the DBA side of the fence I can
see why MS doesn't bother spending time on this.

Someday I really am going to have to figure out how to use VS to run / debug my SPs and stuff.  To
me VS just seems over-the-top complex for the level of stuff I am trying to do.  An Access type of
code editor would be just the right level of convenience and capability - built right into SSMS.