[dba-VB] C# - Thoughts on my methods

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Wed Dec 9 14:59:21 CST 2009

Hi John --

In fact this is easy (please correct me if I'm wrong):

- just reference your child projects from your main project and if you have
(sub-)child projects then reference them from child projects; you can also
reference child-child-(nephew) projects from parent projects etc... - just
avoid having circular references...

All that is very similar to MS Access/VBA references but unlike in MS
Access/VBA in .NET solutions this referencing always work without any
glitches whatever size your solutions are - tens of projects, thousands of
customer classes - no problems, no GPFs of Visual Studio (well, for ASP.NET
and WPF solutions you can have GPFs but even in that case you'll have all
your sources preserved)....

<<<
I also don't understand why some objects in a referenced project class can
be seen but others
cannot.

That should be your problem/issue: in VS2008 (Prof) you can always try to
hint VS asking to "resolve" undefined class name, enum, global var - right
click -> Resolve... - if it can't do that - you can always do that manually
- but it may be needed to have some custom classes "shuffled" between your
projects...

<<<
the whole "break into
projects" idea is turning out to be more work than it might be worth.

John, it will pay itself back very quickly - just be patient - I'd guess
(based on your software development experience) it will need max one week
(in total) of your time to spend mastering that multi-project solutions -
and when you're there - only outer space will be your limitation...

Just create a very simple sample solution with several projects and try to
play with it setting references, moving custom classes from one project to
the other, changing namespaces, and using directives... it's really easy -
imagine hierarchical catalog where child entries can be referenced/accessed
from parent ones, but where sibling entries aren't aware of each other...
(if only they do not inherit from the same parent entries...)