[dba-VB] [AccessD] Conversion Time: Access to VB.Net(cross-posted)

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Sat Feb 21 16:23:42 CST 2009

...just in case you've not noticed it but the visual studio express versions
of vb.net and c#.net are free and there is a LOT of high quality video
training available gratis on ms ...I finally coughed up for the vs pro 8 but
don't think you have to have it to build your first apps ...ms has done vs
right ...real developers writing tools they would be pleased to use
themselves ...to damn bad some of that talent wasn't used on Ak27.

...for instance, with access you build tree views according to what ms gives
you ...a few properties here and there but basically you're stuck with what
you can push the mscomctl6 to do ...with vs and .net, you can pretty much
build whatever pleases you or your client's fancy and you don't have to
start from scratch either ...and there is soooooooooo much sample code
available that your problem becomes not finding help but filtering out the
really good stuff from the chaff

...and don't let us scare you into thinking you have to move to c# ...I
started with vb.net and when I found a good code source that was available
only in c#, I also found that there are some excellent web sites that do
pretty good c# to vb translations for free ...so even though its an extra
step, its there and easy to use ...but if you're like gustav or even me, you
start seeing the obvious ...the code really isn't that different and if you
can write one, you can write and use the other.

William