[dba-VB] Messaging For JWC WAS: Syslogs

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed Jul 1 11:54:36 CDT 2009

Well UDP is what you want then.  However, I don't have anything setup to
do that with strictly API calls.  It's just too easy to do it with the
Winsock Control.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:21 PM
To: Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues.
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] Messaging For JWC WAS: Syslogs

Drew,

 >If you want to play around with it, what you need to do is use UDP to
'broadcast' a hello and
goodbye message, to alert everything on the subnet.  (And you have to
filter that message on the
broadcasting machine, cause it'll pick up it's own message).  In that
hello/goodbye message, you can
include all the info you want (username, computername, IP,etc).  Then
it's just a matter of using
TCP for direct comms between two machines.

In fact I don't want direct comms between machines, I want precisely
"broadcast" messages.  "Hey
everybody, I added a new record in tblX".  Any machine receiving that
message promptly refreshes the
cache for that table.

"Hey everybody, we are shutting down the BE in 10 minutes, get out".
Any machine receiving the
message pops up a message to the user telling them to finish up and get
out of the database.

That kind of message.  I really don't care about sending to a specific
machine, I care about sending
to ALL machines.

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.