[dba-VB] LINQ for EF Example (Part I)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jul 17 10:16:52 CDT 2009

Hi Shamil

No, I wasn't aware of exactly this - or rather down to what level the SQL code generator operates - but it is a great feature.

Where can the C.J. Date test database you mention be obtained?

I found the book for download as a PDF here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13078295/An-Introduction-to-Database-Systems-8Ed-C-J-Date-Solutions-Manual

It seems to be complete. Not sure what the deal is?

/gustav

>>> shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru 17-07-2009 09:22 >>>
Hi All,

Have a look what LINQ for EF can do - I mainly mean that it can combine C#
subqueries into one SQL expression executed on server side. I personally was
unaware of this feature. Yes, I have read about LINQ's "lazy execution mode"
but I haven't seen such advanced examples. Of course I could have missed
them. Anyway I wanted to post about this LINQ feature here - just for the
records J This posting is split into three parts to get through dba-VB
posting size limitations. Example uses well known C.J. Date sample database
from his "An Introduction to Database Systems" book
(http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Database-Systems-C-Date/dp/0201385902):