[dba-VB] SCRUM/SilverLight 2.0

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Jun 6 13:46:19 CDT 2009

Hi Shamil et al

Well, sadly report(ing) is not mentioned with a single word in the news about Silverlight 3 beta:

http://silverlight.net/getstarted/silverlight3/default.aspx#whatsnew

so some other method must be worked out.
Streaming is an interesting idea but that will disable one of the true strengths of the ReportViewer: Interaction.

/gustav

>>> Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru> 06-06-2009 20:30 >>>
Hi Gustav,

Thank you for your feedback. I will put your articles' refs in my "immediate read list" (leaving tomorrow for Finland for a short two days holidays). Yes, that would be interesting to "cook" a SilverLight sample project in a (SCRUM) team.

I have just published the results of my first SilverLight and ADO.NET Data Services exercize here on CodePlex - http://northwind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26600

As for reporting - I haven't checked yet the references you posted here and I have to leave now:

- what about the idea of delivering reports using special service? (we talked about that a few times already) MS ReportViewer Control Reports's PDF can be generated on-the-fly directly in code and in memory and that memory stream can be broadcasted anywhere/consumed from anywhere AFAIK...

But how to consume that memory stream in SilverLight is an open question here - AFAIK (am I wrong?) SilverLight can communicate with its hosting browser (.aspx) page - so I guess it (SilverLight) can somehow "command" its hosting browser web page to "talk to web server" to generate MS ReportViewer Report with certain params and then get this generated report presented outside of SilverLight area on the web page (and SilverLight will shrink while report is presented) - something like that? Sounds too complicated? Maybe SilverLight 3.0 will have new controls supporting MS ReporViewer Reports' presentation etc.? Maybe we'd better wait for that reporting features as SilverLight 3.0 is in beta now, and we still have quite some stuff to learn with SilverLight 2.0? I mean we can just make the part of sample project having forms and neglect reports until SilverLight 3.0 will be released?