[dba-VB] Problem while publishing ADO.NET Data Service...

Robert Stewart raibeart at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:26:03 CDT 2009

To butt in here...

A Silverlight program requires the Silverlight add in.
There is one to run under Linux also and one being developed for Mac.
Having said that, I have NEVER seen a "mixed environment" in any
corporate office in my life as an IT person. ALL of the companies that
I have dealt with are in Windows OS. And, isn't Silverlight trying to do
the same thing that Flash has done, go across platforms?

To be blunt, I have made my living using Microsoft software. If it was
not good, then the Open source world would be dominate. They are
not. I think you get what you pay for with open source. Although,
some people feel that you do not get what you pay for with MS.
Personally, if someone wants something to run on Linux, I send them
looking for someone else to do it. I might consider doing it if
Silverlight will do the cross-platform thing. Otherwise, I am an
MS kind of guy.

Remember that we are working with Beta software in Silverlight 3.0.
And, here at home, I am also working with Windows 7 and VS 2010.
One of which is RC and the other beta. And, I am running them on a
VM. So, I really do not care what they need to run. It can be wiped out
and done over in a hour or so. The point is that I am getting ahead of
the learning curve on all of the changes that are in the next release.
And at the same time, creating a piece of software that I will be
"renting" under a software as a service plan.

My mantra is do it right the first time, customize it to the clients
requirements and leave them to it. I had one customer that went
8 years before calling me to change their MS Access program
because of the way I did it the first time. They only called because
they need to add new functionality. That is the way it should always
be.