[dba-VB] Problem while publishing ADO.NET Data Service...

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Jun 10 17:35:34 CDT 2009

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your reply.
I'm writing here not to argue with you but to share my experience - and I'm working as freelancer for worldwide customers for many years now. Apparently we have quite different customers, and quite different experiences working with them. That's fine.

ASP.NET 2.0/3.5 client webforms run just fine on all the most commonly used browsers - 90% I guess. Aiming at 100% would be tremendous waste of resources.

Yes, Silverlight currently works on IE7/8 and FF 3.x but I believe it will soon run well on all the other most commonly used browsers running under MS Windows as well as on browsers runnning on Mac and Linux.

ADO.NET Entity Framework - is a "corner-stone" emerging technology to process distributed data coming/collected in many different formats from all kinds of data publishers/producers...

<<<
...marrying of browser and desktop...

Do you mean "armouring" browsers with (often browser specififc) "heavy-weigth" AJAX libraries or do you mean virtualization?
I personally do not like/use the former - I believe/expect the latter - virtualization - will soon become a common affordable infrastructure for me and for my customers, and I'm starting to plan moving all my development into a virtual PC/PCs running on my ISP site...

<<<
I feel we should be going in the other direction. More loose binding.

What do you mean here? I know a "loose coupling" term from OOP. What do you mean by "loose binding" here?

<<<
> Maybe these tight times will encourage IT managers
> to take another look at MS SQL.

You may find me cynical and completely wrong - I suppose IT managers need "fat contracts" to keep their "fat companies" with "bloated staff" afloat, and to have good bonuses for themselves. I think that situation can't be changed even in these tight times because changing that would mean a kind of revolution, and a few people wants a revolution these days as revolutions very often result in much more and very severe issues than they try to solve...