[dba-VB] Syslogs

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jun 29 13:34:34 CDT 2009

Hi John

As explained in the article on how to create a kind of confirmation system, you could set up a simple two-way system with a single syslog app broadcasting at low frequency "Here I am, and if you are an app from JC, record my address and report back". Your app, when running at the user, would pick up that message and send back a message for the syslog app to collect the addresses of currently running application copies. When a user signs off, after a time-out the syslog app realizes that this copy is off and removes it from the list. Thus, a current list of active applications can be maintained and they can communicate for whatever reason you decide.

Note that communication between machines can really be done in many ways, it is just that syslog is an established standard for simple text messages of about 1K, and if that fits, why reinvent the wheel?

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 29-06-2009 20:05 >>>
Gustav,

As I mentioned, I have been looking for something like this for years, however everyone has to have
a list of IPs that can be used with it to make it useful.

I suppose I could kind of bootstrap this thing.  The server address could be found by manual
observation, then logged in a table along with the machine name.  Each application FE instance looks
and sends a message that it is logged in.  The RECEIVER grabs the IP address and looks it up in the
table.  If not there it stores the IP in the table.  Of course then the machine name has to be
included in the message.

I suppose that I could develop a message library, such that every time an application it fires a
LOGIN message to everyone already in the table.  The login message has a machine name as the data
and apparently this widget automatically gets the IP address.  My clients rarely have more than 25
or so workstations running the application so this shouldn't cause too much grief.  Thus anyone
listening logs the new person's data into the table if it isn't already there.

Kind of crude but that allows any single running application (that you can manually get the IP for)
to bootstrap the system and build the list of IPs and machine names.