[dba-VB] Messaging For JWC WAS: Syslogs

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Jun 30 11:44:05 CDT 2009

Is this something you really want?

It would be pretty simple to create an OCX that you could have on a
hidden form, that would 'see' all running instances of your application,
and be able to 'communicate' to them.

There is one quirk.  It'll work on a standard network.  However, if your
network is subnetted, it would only 'see' what's in the local subnet
(because the best way to do this is to send out a broadcast 'hello' and
'goodbye' message).  To work with a subnetted network, you'd have to
come up with a 'server/client' scenario, so the server would see all the
connected users (sort of like a custom DNS server).

If you aren't worried about a subnetted network, let me know, I am
pretty sure I can whip up an OCX to do what you want.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 1:06 PM
To: Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues.
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] SPAM-LOW: Re: Syslogs

Gustav,

As I mentioned, I have been looking for something like this for years,
however everyone has to have
a list of IPs that can be used with it to make it useful.

I suppose I could kind of bootstrap this thing.  The server address
could be found by manual
observation, then logged in a table along with the machine name.  Each
application FE instance looks
and sends a message that it is logged in.  The RECEIVER grabs the IP
address and looks it up in the
table.  If not there it stores the IP in the table.  Of course then the
machine name has to be
included in the message.

I suppose that I could develop a message library, such that every time
an application it fires a
LOGIN message to everyone already in the table.  The login message has a
machine name as the data
and apparently this widget automatically gets the IP address.  My
clients rarely have more than 25
or so workstations running the application so this shouldn't cause too
much grief.  Thus anyone
listening logs the new person's data into the table if it isn't already
there.

Kind of crude but that allows any single running application (that you
can manually get the IP for)
to bootstrap the system and build the list of IPs and machine names.

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.