[dba-VB] ReportViewer and report design

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Mar 2 15:21:55 CST 2009

Hi SCRUM team and everybody,

My congratulation to the SCRUM team that we got 5 team members!

I have made new versions of solutions and also MS SQL 2005 db model.

Here are downloads:

http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/download/scrum/nwnet1.zip
http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/download/scrum/nwnetdbs.zip

Here is the copy on another server:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/download/nwnet1.zip
http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/download/nwnetdbs.zip

You can find three solutions now:

- one for VS2005;
- another for VS2008;
- third one targeted for C# 2008 Express but prepared with VS2008 Prof. (based on William words that C# 2008 Express can't compile classlibs  I have just made small Winforms FE app and used classlibs compiled by VS2008 Prof).

These "tricks" caused by different versions of VS we have.

You can find that I moved placeholder forms and reports into classlibs to make projects configiration which will allow Mike to just develop a form in C# Express and use the forms and reports from classlibs we develop in full VS versions.

I have also set references for ReportViewer control v.9 for VS2008 and C# Express 2008 targeted solutuons. Mike could you please test how they work now on your system? (Hope they will work OK, "fingers crossed").
Please Mike try to compile VS2008 targeted solution and C# 2008 targeted solution under C# 2008 Express. If the first will compile, build and run OK then classlibs with Forms and Reports could be merged back to FE. And having Express, Standard and Professioanl editions will not result in excessive manual synchronization work.

Who can try to build VS2005 sample solution under VS 2005 Standard and/or VS2008 sample under VS2008 Standard edition to see they compile OK and thefore some of us can have Standard Editons and some of us can have Professional editions to work on this project?

Compiled apps now have the following main executables.

VS2005 or VS2008 Prof or Standard (maybe C# 2008 Express will work just find with VS2008 Prof. solution)
=================================
NorthWind.NET.FE.exe
NorthWind.NET.FE.Forms.dll
NorthWind.NET.FE.Reports.dll
NorthWind.NET.Utilities.dll

C# 2008 Express (but compiled here under VS2008 Prof)
=================
NorthWind.NET.FE.Express.exe
NorthWind.NET.FE.Forms.dll - just classlib dll
NorthWind.NET.FE.Reports.dll - just classlib dll
NorthWind.NET.Utilities.dll - just classlib dll

Guys, may I ask now you to decide which development environmnet to use - we seems to be moving to 2008 versions Express, Standard, Prof (Gustav, Mike, Doug, Shamil), but John has VS2005 version only and can't get 2008 version.

What can we do? - I'd follow your decision - the issue with having 2005 and 2008 versions is that 2008 has some new C# language etc. features and therefore downgrading forms/reports developed in 2008 versions could be an issue - I have never tried to do that downgrade. Maybe you can try to test how it works and if it works well then we can safely (with a little additonal work) use both VS2005 and VS2008 versions. Of we all can use 2005 versions?

Another issue with reports develped in 2008 versions - they expected to be quite different from 2005 versions (but 2005 versions could be upgraded to 2008 versions smoothly).

Database model in the above download is a proposal - I have made some changes after upsizing tables. I didn't upsize any queries because most of them will be developed differently I expect. I have also added timestamp fields to all tables - almost never used them before, wanted to try to use them in this project - if you think they are not needed then we can remove it.

Please note that SCRUMMaster role, which I have committed to for this project is not as a manager, mentor, director - this is a facilitator role IOW you as a team make the final decicions - I can participate in making such decisions because I have to share SCRUMMaster and developer roles in this project but my voice/vote shouldn't have any more "weight" that your votes/voices.

To move steadily forward we have to make decisions every day - small, not time consuming  - spending approx. 1 hour a working day for this project (for me it's not yet the case here for this project as I'm spending more time on it every day currently but that's OK for now. Hope you're not missing your main business working for this project...) ...

Please be more active - if you wanted to do all the further preparatory work when we will start the project - let it be so - then we can start next week - it may take more time if we will not align/find a way how to work with different version of VS, how to share files etc. before we start actual development...

I think decision on selecting of VS versions and that we can work and share sources with that selection should be done in advance - if it will not work OK we will not be able to make this project developed effectively...

May I ask you to make decisions on:

- VS versions you will use and how to solve some discrepancy if that will be 2005 and 2006 versions Express, Standard and Professional;

- how we share/synchronize projects: current options: PopFly, MS Live SkyDrive, Google, <please add more> (after all we can "synchronize" them by just exchanging source files)...

We (you) will have to make some other decisions in preparation the project after the two above made/tested.

I can participate in discussions but I'd prefer to be a kind of "lurker" for several days now because:

- this is not SCRUMMaster responsibility to force the team to make decisions;
- I have made quite some proposals already - it's your turn now :)...

FYI: I have here an important deadline and I have to work intensively on another project for the next three-four days.

Maybe we can/should shift the project start date for additonal week? - I can get back into active mode in the end of this week...

For the next three-four days I will be able to spend only one-two hours max, for this project, and I wanted to install TargetProcess during this time and to give it to you to use in the beginning of the next week to define together ProductBacklog (features) and to plan the first SCRUM Sprint etc...

Please ask questions if needed on VS versions and other issues and I will try to answer promptly...