[dba-VB] Scrum & C# - VS versions we have

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Mar 4 17:36:03 CST 2009

Hi SCRUM team at all,

Please see first my previous message concerning C# Express 2008 tests.
Based on that tests' results our team can now use 2008 versions:

C# 2008 Express, VS2008 Standard and VS 2008 Prof:

Gustav: VS2008 Standard
Mike:   VS2008 Prof. (is on the way)
Doug:   VS2008 Prof.
John:   C# 2008 Express
Shamil: VS2008 Prof.

Please approve that.

Thank you Mike for your purchasing of VS2008 Prof.
Thank you all for your help with testing sample projects.

I must say I spent quite some time during this week to prepare different configurations or test projects, to make VMWAre installation on Vista Ultimate, to download and burn setup disks, to run setups and compile, build and run tests.

That was a long way to get the current good result.
Witt nowaday knowledge I'd go shorter way, namely:

- make very simple VS2008 Winforms project with placeholder sample ReportViewer control report;
- install VMWare Player 2.x on Vista or better just use VMWare Server installed on my another development PC;
- download "All-in-One" Express CD and ReportViewer Control Redistributables SP1;
- install C# 2008 Express and ReportViewer Redist. on Win XP SP2 VM;
- copy simple sample project to VM and test it to see that it works OK;

---
That shorter way would have saved me a couple+ of working days.
---
Lessons learned. Some other byside results achieved during the above tests.
---
We can start working on project now when Mike will get hist VS2008 Prof,. will install it and play with it a little, and when John will get C# 2008 Express installed.
---
I'd propose now to shift project start for one week to 16th of March. The reason for me is that I have spent quite some time on this work during thsi week, and I have urgent project to work on very intensively.
The reason for Mike and John could be to adpat a little bit to VS 2008 Prof and C# 2008 Express.
I'd also need to setup TargetProcess - and that isn't straightforward as this shoudl be manual installation first tested on local PC and then deployed on my ASP.NET hosting. I wanted also to make some setup/adjustmentd on SCRUM at Extreme web site.
And we also have to find a way how to share/synchronize our source code:
Coudl you please look at - http://www.gladinet.com/ - I have it installed here and it allows to use MS Live SkyDrive from within Windows Explorer, the same coudl be done for Google Docs and some other (Free) Internet Storage providers...
Even with shifted project start date we can discuss during the next week how to organize the source code within the solution, and the related issues...

Please post your thoughts/proposals here.