[dba-VB] Column's not declared by column name

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Wed May 20 13:09:26 CDT 2009

I used VB Express 8.0 to retrieve a dataset from Northwind's Customers
table. I dragged that onto a form to create a quick datagridview control.

I wanted to disable the automatic column sorting for a specific column, so I
added the following to the form's Load event:

Me.DataGridViewTextBoxContactTitle.SortMode =
DataGridViewColumnSortMode.NotSortable
where ContactTitle is the column's name. It returned a Build error that the
column wasn't a member of the form. Using Intellisense, I could see that it
doesn't list the columns by name, but by number. I substitued ContactTitle
with Column4, and it works just fine.

I don't get it -- is there a setting that I need to flag differently or
something? This goes against every guideline I know!

Susan H.