[dba-VB] Parameter objects in C# and ADO.

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 03:04:54 CST 2009

Hello John,

There are three ways to bring back values from an sproc,

1 the result set
2 the output parameters, of which there can be many
3 the return code

afaik, a param can be input  (the default direction) or output.  I have not
heard of an inputoutput param so unless anyone here says different, assume
that you cannot have bi-directional.

Now you have the ability to standardize on a return code which may relate to
error codes, a complete recordset of data, and also a few params that passed
back logging codes, temp counts etc etc etc.

In fact, if the sproc is doing multiple stages, you will love the ability to
store staged log codes and messages and then bring the whole lot back when
it is finished, and still being 1M records as well !

Thanks

Mark