[dba-VB] Access FE --> VB: Conversion/Rewrite Time?

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Fri Oct 16 12:56:52 CDT 2009

Hello Dan,

In general I do not believe that automated conversion tools can do good job
- I mean that after running automated conversion you'll get up & running
application. I can be wrong. (I tried in the past some automated conversion
tools - they weren't satisfactory).

The quality of work of such tools IMO severely depends on the quality of the
source code, and e.g. Gustav's code should get converted well, JC's code
should also get converted well but his code specifics are that he uses a lot
of "tricks" and "outdated" technologies features as DAO so automated
conversion will not be of that much help here etc. I quoted here Gustav's
code and JC's code because I have seen their code snippets here many times -
unfortunately the main volume of VBA/VB6 code base AFAIHS is far from that
quality...

I have seen also "incredibly" badly designed forms/reports, which customers
expected to get converted to .NET "overnight" - no way to do that I
suppose...

So if your code and forms/reports are of quality of Gustav and JC, and you
do not use that much "tricky" programming as JC does, and you do not have a
lot of inline SQL, and your forms and reports are mainly bound, and your SQL
in queries is rather clean and doesn't use custom functions, and you do not
use macros, and you do not use a lot of MS Access specific DoCmd... and
RunCommand etc. - then I'd suppose you have good chances to get a converted
app which will compile (after some(?) manual fixes) and which will even get
some features working...

Still just guessing here - if you have this MS Access -> .NET conversion
project and there is no other options - just go for it - find good
consultants/developers, purchase the tools you believe should do the work
for you, make first trial conversion to get converted project compiled and
maybe running some features - you can get quotes for that first phase - just
select the most attractive ones. When that first phase finished you'll know
more. You can also get some code converted during the first phase, which can
be immediately used in production - that would be approval of the costs of
the first conversion phase, then if first phase will succeed go for the
second phase again setting clear customer business attractive goals etc. -
do not try to eat this "behemoth" at once - it could happen you can succeed
in that "big lunch eating" but you'll know that only when you'll make ...

All in all IMO .NET (+ MS SQL backend) development is a way easier than that
of VB6/VBA but learning curve is longer...