[dba-VB] C# replace a special character

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Oct 20 11:21:32 CDT 2009

Hi John

You should be able to use the Replace method directly on your string holding the line or the file:

  theStringToCleanUp.Replace(((char)26).ToString(),"");

like:

  string contents = File.ReadAllText(path);
  File.WriteAllText(path, contents.Replace(((char)26).ToString(),""));

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 20-10-2009 17:45 >>>
I have a file which contains a sprinkling of a special character - decimal 26, hex 1A (the SUB
character).  This special character in the CSV file output to Accuzip causes Accuzip to hiccup.  In
order to get on with my life I need to pre-process the files to get rid of this special character.
Because of the size of these files (hundreds of mbytes) I need to do a readline / replace /
writeline kind of thing.  I think I need to use the stringbuilder.replace but I do not know how to
specify replacing this hex 1A with something else.  The something else would ideally be nothing
(empty string) but can be any valid alpha character (A, B etc).

Can anyone help me with this replace part of the problem.  C# syntax please.