[dba-VB] C# replace a special character

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:39:06 CDT 2009

Hello John,
I used the following SQL today, and it works a treat, in my case, I wanted
to exclude all except alphas, I know that it is not C#, and I know you may
prefer C# as practice, so if it is no useful, just bin it.

I got the code from this site, if you have a look, there is a little more
there that you may be able to make use of.

Thanks to Nigel Rivett.

http://www.nigelrivett.net/SQLTsql/RemoveNonNumericCharacters.html

<snip>

WHILE @@rowcount > 0
    UPDATE  tablename
    SET     columnname = REPLACE(columnname,
                                    SUBSTRING(columnname,
                                              PATINDEX('%[^a-zA-Z0-9]%',
                                                       columnname), 1), '')
    WHERE   PATINDEX('%[^a-zA-Z0-9]%', columnname) <> 0

</snip>

Mark