[dba-VB] C# as a language of choice

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 23 11:25:01 CDT 2009

Shamil,

 > I'm just wondering what kind of "native EXE" applications you could have developed for your
customers would be faster than equivalent C#/VB.NET ones and why?

I wasn't commenting on "what could be done in one vs the other" I was simply commenting that a
native EXE is probably going to be faster than .Net in most situations.  That is almost indisputable.

Whether the speed increase is noticeable depends entirely on the situation.

In the end it doesn't matter to me.  I am going with C# simply because it is a marketing tool - "I
develop in C#".  C# is a fine language, I don't LOSE much if anything by selecting it as my language
of choice, in fact I GAIN the framework and all that implies.

People are more accepting of things they are familiar with, whether that is the race of a person,
the make of a car, or the language you mention in a sales presentation.  C# has been marketed by
Microsoft and the whole world has heard of it.  I would really prefer VB.Net over C#.Net but at this
point C# has the edge in perception.  VB is still a "toy" to too many people in positions of power
(just as Access is).  The fact that it isn't true really doesn't matter.

And so I am enrolled in a C# class at the local community college.  Which is really kind of fun.