[dba-VB] Can anyone suggest a Windows good client for mySQL

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 23 13:09:58 CDT 2009

Hi Mark:

If you can, it is better to use ADO-OLE than ODBC-Pass-Through. I stopped
using ODBC, except in extreme circumstances over 10 years ago and have never
looked back.

Back in 1997, a client did month end reports through MS Access to a MS SQL
BE DB via a pass-through implementation. The report was done in two separate
sections with each section taking 50 minutes before the report would start.
They would do one report in the morning and one in the afternoon. The query
was a 'Select * ..." type.

When I converted their month-end report to ADO-OLE and used a SP. The
results were that the entire report started in less than 2 seconds. See the
sample code at:

http://www.databaseadvisors.com/newsletters/newsletter112003/0311UnboundRepo
rts.asp

HTH