[dba-VB] Counting data elements

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Sep 22 11:39:37 CDT 2009

I am in the process of counting data elements in my database from hell fact table.  It turns out
there are 584 fields in the table.  No indexes (I created a new table copy in a new database to do
this stuff) and each field count is taking about 0:1:40.

When I am done with this I will have a list of fields and the count of data elements in each field.

The objective is to see if I can delete some of the fields because they contain no data elements.
 From reading the table definition spreadsheet I got from the client, I am reasonably certain that
there are completely empty fields.  Not sure how many.