[dba-VB] XML LINQ Help!

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Mon Sep 28 22:33:42 CDT 2009

Hi guys,

VS2008 C#

I've grabbed some XML data from a web service and I need to do some
operations on it. This is all new to me and I'm a bit lost trying to
follow MSDN docs.
The data looks like this.

<Data>
  <Summary MID="SR_20090924">
    <VenueName>HAWKESBURY (NSW)</VenueName>
    <Type>R</Type>
    <Events>9</Events>
    <Track>GOOD    </Track>
    <Weather>FINE    </Weather>
    <Races>
      <Race RID="SR_20090924_01">
        <Name>MADE JEWELLERY F&M MDN HCP</Name>
        <Distance>1400m     </Distance>
        <Class>
        </Class>
        <RunnerNo Acceptors="13">13</RunnerNo>
        <JumpTime>12:10</JumpTime>
        <TimeToJump>+02:35:19</TimeToJump>
        <RaceStatus>Betting Open</RaceStatus>
      </Race>
  </Summary>
  <Summary ...>
	//more
  </Summary>
</Data>

I can load the xml using XElement racesFromFile = XElement.Load ( @path
);

I need to do a variety of things.

How do I get all the Summary Attributes?  MID = ?

How do I get VenueNAme?

And all the raceIDs?

Then using LINQ(?) get data specific to a RaceID?

Maybe a pointer to a good tutorial would be appreciated.

Cheers

Michael M