[dba-VB] C# publish project

David McAfee davidmcafee at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 16:10:34 CDT 2010

OnceClick was the older version in, I believe VS2003, that was
superseded by ClickOnce.

By itself, ClickOnce is very Basic. But you can do so much with it.

It installs the app to the users profile, so it doesn't require admin
rights (doesn't write to C:\program files\).

I've got pretty good at making custom bootstrappers for ClickOnce, let
me know if you need help with those.

I didn't like the situation when releasing an update, if the user
selects "no" to the prompt,
he does not get prompted again the next time he runs the app, so we
now force our updates on our users.

The other thing I didn't like was that it only checks for your chosen
prerequisites the first time, so if you
checked off a prereq for some component and it later gets uninstalled,
it doesnt automatically reload it.

The Shortcut issue has been resolved too with VS2008 SP1. You can now
create a shortcut to your app.

I ended up making a "launcher" app which checks for any missing
prerequisites at install then checks for
various other things and automatically downloads updates on the fly.
If everything is fine, it simply starts our
main application.

Doing it this way, via a ClickOnce-Launcher, you can create a seperate
msi for your main app
which can be installed where ever you want.