[dba-VB] How to - Test environment

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Dec 2 09:06:57 CST 2010

I am trying to figure out how to do a test environment for C# development.

I have a SQL Server with a bunch of application specific databases.  We are developing a custom C#
application to drive this business.

My problem is that ATM I cannot run the program while my developer is working on the application
because we are operating out of the same database.  Due to the size of the database and my finances,
cloning it on a dev environment server is not feasible.  This means I need a software solution.

My solution as of this morning is to add a field to the supervisor table that is either null
(default) or holds a machine name string.  By adding a couple of controls in the application I can
fill in this field with a machine name when a "test" check box is set in the interface form and we
add a record to that table.  Then when anyone runs the program, the code checks for the test
checkbox and only pulls records for that machine if the check box is set.

This seems rather kludgy.

If anyone has addressed this, please let me know how you are doing it.