[dba-VB] WCF

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Dec 17 10:23:17 CST 2010

Michael,

Glad to have you.

I am using VS 2008 Standard edition.  I will probably go with SQL Server Express in order to allow
each client to use their own database hosted wherever they need.  My intention is to develop a
client application in C#, and a service application in C#.  The service application will talk to a
database layer and through to SQL Server or MySQL.  I will use WCF and services to talk from the
client through the internet to the service application.

I am so new to this that I am just talking generalities here.  From what I am reading, this is the
big picture of how it is done.  The first chapter of John Sharp's book dives right in and I will be
diving right in following along exactly, using his tools / database etc.  Once I am able to do so I
will bring up a parallel track of the volunteer database.

I want to go with the C# client because I just don't like browser based applications.  I don't like
using them when I am forced to out on the internet, they just always feel clumsy.  At this time my
clients all use Windows, are all at least at Windows XP, and so can easily host a windows based
application.  IOW I do not need to run my client app on Linux or other non windows OS so why do
browser based apps.

I use VisualSVN / Tortoise for source control internal to my business.  IIRC Gustav, Shamil and Mark
Breen used this same combination for Source control but had the repository on the web.  If you
remember those guys did a rewrite of Microsoft's Tradewind Access demo database into C#.  Back then
I was not up to speed in C#.  While I hesitate to say I am up to speed now, I am at least minimally
functional in C# now, though this WCF thing is going to be a stretch.

I will ask them if that repository is still up and whether we can use it.  Source control is
critical for a community project in order to be able to share the source code and not step on toes.

This volunteer database is a real application and a real (non-paying) client (Prison Ministries) and
I am using this as a learning tool to get to this paradigm, to be comfortable with this for future
development of distributed applications.  I may very well start to design even my internal app to
use the services paradigm, if for no other reason that to get good at it and stay there.

Anyway, that is what I am up to.  I have committed to delivering an Access database to Prison
Ministries by the first of the year.  I am so fast in Access that doing so (for something this
small) is doable, however I cannot see how to publish that application over the web in a manner that
will stay useful and current and easy to maintain for the future.  Not to mention my faith in the
future of Access is not very high right now.

Ergo C# / WCF services / SQL Server / MySQL.  That would seem to be the future.