[dba-VB] try catch finally

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Fri Jul 23 13:05:08 CDT 2010

Hi John,

Yes, you can dimension connection and reader object variables outside the
try/catch block - something like it is done by the code in P.S. of this
posting.

If you have unhandled exception in your worker thread then it completes
abnormally but your main thread continues running OK, still you'd better
have all your worker thread exceptions handled gracefully and returning some
failing code to the main thread in the case of runtime errors...

Throw call issued and executed in catch block does immediately return
control/"bubles" to the nearest try/catch block in the call stack, and if
there is no any then worker or main thread crash...

HTH,

-- Shamil

P.S.

static void Main(string[] args)
{
    try
    {
        tryCatchFinally();
    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
        System.Console.WriteLine("Runtime.Error: " + ex.Message);
    }
}

public static void tryCatchFinally()
{
    string serverName = @"MyServer\MySQLServer";
    string databaseName = "MyDb";

    SqlConnection cnn = null;
    SqlCommand cmd = null;
    SqlDataReader rdr = null;
    string connectionString = string.Format(
            @"Data Source={0};Initial Catalog={1};Integrated Security=True",
            serverName, databaseName);
    try
    {
        string cmdText = "select * from [Users]";
        cnn = new SqlConnection(connectionString);
        cnn.Open();
        cmd = new SqlCommand(cmdText, cnn);
        rdr = cmd.ExecuteReader();
        while (rdr.Read())
        {
            System.Console.WriteLine("{0} {1} {2}",
                 rdr[0], rdr[1], rdr[2]);
        }
    }
    catch (SqlException ex)
    {
        if (cnn != null)
            System.Console.WriteLine("tryCatchFinally.SQL: {0} {1} {2}",
                cnn.WorkstationId, cnn.State, ex.Message);
        throw;
    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
       if (cnn != null)
           System.Console.WriteLine("tryCatchFinally.Runtime: {0} {1} {2}",
               cnn.WorkstationId, cnn.State, ex.Message);
       throw;
    }
    finally
    {