[dba-VB] Multi-project solution

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Fri Jun 11 21:38:57 CDT 2010

Hi John,

I think it's you bud :-)
I think most people quite like compartmentalising their code using
projects and NameSpaces.
Adding a ref or Using is a small price to pay IMO.

If your project is an internal project for your DBFH then 1 solution and
1 project is probably fine for you.
However, I'd still break it down using namespaces, something like...
	Colby.DBFH.Forms
	Colby.DBFH.Data
	Colby.DBFH.Data.Services
 	Colby.DBFH.Data.Entities
	Colby.DBFH.Data.Providers
	Colby.DBFH.Tools
	Colby.DBFH.Settings

Each namespace can be it's own project or all mixed together any way you
like. Put your classes in the appropriate namespaces and
as the solution grows you will be able to keep organised. (and it looks
nice in object explorer)

HTH

Michael M

I launched in to building a C# application where I divided the solution
into projects.

It certainly seems to make sense, a solution can have multiple
solutions, and each solution becomes
an arm in a tree structure inside of the solution.

OTOH each project has an entire set of properties all it's own.  They
are not inherited from parent
(solution) properties.  I don't claim to be any guru but it sure seems
that many of the properties
in the project really should apply to the entire solution.  For example
each project has a
properties.Settings.  However there is no Solution.properties object at
all AFAICT, never mind a
Solution.Properties.Settings.  Thus (for example) I have a server name,
a bunch of paths on the
server etc.  All of those things have to be declared over and over in
each project's
Properties.Setting or... have to be declared in one specific project and
then that project
referenced in every other project.

Is it just me or is this project thing a lot of extra effort for what
you get?  What specifically DO
you get?