[dba-VB] Subversion / VisualSVN

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Mar 10 14:47:31 CST 2010

I am trying to set up Visual SVN on my server and laptop for the first time.  I installed the SVN
and Tortoise on the server, then Visual SVN.  I opened VS 2008, opened a project, and did an initial
  deposit.  I am trying to place the repository on my F: drive (a raid array) and it took a bit of
messing around but eventually I managed to get it to work.  So ONE of my c# VS2008 projects is in
version control.

But now, trying to get the rest in there.  the problem seems to be that VisualVSN just passes
commands to a command utility and if that fails, the resulting error codes are unfriendly.

I am trying set it up on my RAID volume F:\Repositories.  So I use something like

file://F:/Repositories

It gives an error

Repository is not available
unable to open an ra_local session to URL
Unable to open 'File://F:/Repositories'

I am getting this same error from my laptop across the network (different URL though) and local to
the server.

I am able to check out the one project that I managed to check in, even from my laptop.  I just
can't check in the next one, either from my laptop or from the server directly.

I have been working on the server in VS2008 so I have some existing projects.  The first one checked
in, the rest refuse.

Has anyone run into / solved this problem?