[dba-VB] New unstoppable malware on the horizon

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon May 10 17:03:30 CDT 2010

Now that most of our new computers are multi-cored and capable of running
processes in parallel, it appears, unfortunately that most of our software
has not taken advance of this new capability or do most programmers even
know how to. Here in lies the danger.

Our best virus protection software is just designed for single core
processes. A company has pointed out the weakness to our situation and how
to take advantage of it. It works like the old bait and switch routine.

While the current protection software is busy validating some innocuous file
or software the malware is busy pushing a zombie through via a parallel
process. Very slick:

http://www.matousec.com/info/articles/khobe-8.0-earthquake-for-windows-deskt
op-security-software.php

Now that the knowledge of how to build unstoppable malware is out there how
long do we have to wait until our protection software is ready to stop the
inevitable flood?

Jim