[dba-VB] Moving controls at runtime

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu May 13 09:34:53 CDT 2010

John, I have two methods for tracking this sort of info in the main
application I develop on (I'm not into developing much anymore).

The application I am referring to is a networked app, that runs on every
desktop at my company, so it is possible that the same user would use
the app on different machines.  So I determine if I want the 'feature'
to be remembered by user, or by desktop.  By user, I store the data in a
table in the database, retrieved when the user logs in.  By machine, I
store the data in a text file that is loaded and saved when the app
starts and stops.  I don't have any controls moving around, but I do
allow many forms to be resized, and so on the OnLoad event of each form
I have a 'FormOpen Me' statement that runs a function with a reference
to the form as an argument, which lets the function retrieve the size
and position values based on the form name, from the text file data, and
then apply that information to the form.  On the Unload event, I have
'FormClose Me' which then records the values for the form to be saved in
the text file.

The app I refer too is a VB 6 app.  I use a class module called
'LocalSettings' to store this data.  Here's the .ini file that is on my
desktop right now for this application:

RAdminPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Radmin Viewer 3\Radmin.exe
frmPhoneList-Top=1875
frmPhoneList-Left=1875
frmPhoneList-Width=6780
frmPhoneList-Height=7005

When the app loads, it's populating a collection with the items on the
left of the equal sign as the keys  and the items on the right as the
values.  The 'LocalSettings' class simply retrieves, stores, and records
those values without caring what they are.  So on the FormOpen method, I
simply have the following:

Me.Top=MyLocalSettings.LocalProperty(Me.Name & "-Top")

And so on.  Obviously I have a line to determine that there is recorded
info for the form, before it moves or resizes anything (the first time a
form would be opened, there would be no info for it).

The data I store in the database, so it would transfer from machine to
machine, is actually less simple.  Screen sizes and positions aren't
things I would want globally stored because different machines can have
different resolutions and monitor sizes.

Drew