[dba-VB] Apples to Oranges - Take 3

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 7 14:53:12 CDT 2010

One thing I do a lot is to export large csv files.  Today I have to export ~51 million records to
CSV, PK and email fields.

I have a table which holds these and two other fields, with a clustered index on PK and a
non-clustered index on the email.

I exported from rotating media to rotating media and (very rough) got about 10 million records per
45 seconds.

I then exported the same job from rotating media to SSD and got roughly the same performance.

I then backed up and restored to the SSD (the log file to SSD as well).

I then exported the same job from SSD to SSD and got roughly the same performance.

I then exported SSD to rotating media and got roughly the same performance.

So there ya have it, SSD apparently makes no difference no matter how you play it in this specific task.