[dba-VB] Unspecified Error

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Fri Oct 29 04:05:14 CDT 2010

Hi All --

After several hours (~6 hours Win7 64bit, ~24hours WinXP) of running
multi-threaded (.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 WinForms) desktop application using
.mdb files as backend I'm getting the following runtime error:

Exception -> Unspecified error

StackTrace ->    at
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString
constr, OleDbConnection connection)
   at
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOption
s options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
owningObject)
   at
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbCon
nection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
   at
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection)
   at
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
   at
NetworkManager.SearchInputFileHandler.GetInputRows(SearchProgramTypeEnumerat
ion programType, Int32 startRowNum, Int32 rowsQty, Boolean setupInProgress,
Boolean filterOutUninitializedRows)

It looks like this is an OleDbProvider bug.

Have you seen/experienced something like that?

Context:

1. I do exclusively use

using (OleDbConnection cnn = new
OleDbConnection("{{mymdbConnectionStringHere}}"))
{
    cnn.Open();
}

2. I do use IN clause in some select SQL expressions to point to external
MDB tables.

I guess the issues is caused by case (2). Although that's still a hypothesis
here to check (some code fixes are needed in the core code of my
application, and I'm considreing now will that be worth fixing, or I should
better switch to MS SQL backend.)